Mrs Bola Athar, Acting Director of Operations, National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB), has revealed that the board seized pornographic and other unclassified films worth N2.5 billion in two years.
She made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at a dinner reception on Sunday in Abuja to mark the second year of Mr Adedayo Thomas as Chief Executive Officer of the board.
NAN reports that top management staff, industry stakeholders and other functionaries of government were present at the event to felicitate with Thomas for effectively steering the Nigerian movie industry in the last two years.
Athar, who took a retrospective look into the activities of the board for the period, said the feat was unprecedented.
According to her, the seized items included production equipment, DVDs, CD copies of 20 in 1 video films, unclassified foreign and local films as well as pornographic materials.
“This is the first time in the history of NFVCB that its Director-General will go for raid operations and in two years, the board sanitized the market of unwholesome films, valued at N2.5 billion.
“These items include pornographic films, unclassified local and international movies as well as machines for mass duplication of films.
“These items were seized during our enforcement operations across the country, including Kaduna, Benin, Warri, Kano, Onitsha and Lagos, to serve as a deterrent and prevent such illegal products from selling in the market,” she said.
Athar explained further that suspects arrested during the period had been charged to court in accordance with the enabling laws of the board.
She also said that the board had strengthened relationship with relevant stakeholders, including the police, whose enforcement operations yielded the desired results.
It is also the duty of the Board to register all films and videos outlets across the country, as well as keep a register of such outlets, among other functions. (NAN)