News Beyond Boundaries

40 killed in Christchurch town mosques in New Zealand

- Advertisement -

0 121

40 people have died and 20 injured as a gunman opened fire in two mosques in New Zealand, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern informed, adding that it was a well planned terror attack. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the shooting in Christchurch was carried out by “an extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist” who was an Australian-born citizen. He declined to provide further details, saying the investigation was being led by New Zealand authorities.


After the attack, New Zealand’s security threat level has been raised to ‘high’.

PM Ardern said New Zealand was attacked because the country “represents diversity”. She said that the attackers were not on terror watchlists.

She described the shooting as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. The police said they have taken four people in custody after the incident.

“It is clear that this is one of New Zealand’s darkest days,” she told reporters. “Clearly, what has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.”

The mosques were packed with worshippers gathering for Friday afternoon prayers, and members of the Bangladesh cricket team were arriving when the shooter opened fire.

“This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, however we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities,” commissioner Mike Bush said in his initial reaction.

He said one person was in custody but there may be other offenders and armed officers were attending a number of scenes.

The Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch was filled with worshippers, when the attack happened.

“Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high,” Mr Bush said.

New Zealand police, meanwhile, warned against sharing footage relating to the shooting, after a video online showed a gunman filming himself firing at worshippers inside a mosque.

“Police are aware there is extremely distressing footage relating to the incident in Christchurch circulating online,” New Zealand police said in a Twitter post.

“We would strongly urge that the link not be shared. We are working to have any footage removed.”

The Masjid al Noor in central Christchurch was filled with worshippers, when the attack happened, as was a second mosque in suburban Linwood.

A Palestinian man in the mosque, who did not want to give his name, said he saw a man shot in the head.

“I heard three quick shots then after about 10 seconds it started again it must have been an automatic no one could pull a trigger that quick,” he said.

“Then people started running out. Some were covered in  blood.”

Another witness told he was praying in the Deans Ave mosque when he heard shooting and saw his wife lying dead on the footpath outside when he fled.

Another man said he saw children being shot.



Get The Latest Discount

The Is The Best Offere For You